Voltage doubler circuit using NE555
The circuit diagram of a very simple voltage doubler using NE555 timer is shown here. Here IC NE555 is wired as an astable mutivibrator operating at around 9KHz. The base of the two transistors (Q1 and Q2) is shorted and output of the astable multivibrator (pin 3) is connected to it. When the output of astable multivibrator is low, Q1 will be OFF and Q2 will be ON. The negative terminal of the capacitor C3 will be shorted to ground through T2 and it will be charged to the input supply voltage. When the output of the astable multi vibrator is high, transistor Q1 will be ON and transistor Q2 will be OFF. The capacitor C4 will be charged to the voltage across capacitor C3 plus the input supply voltage (that is double the input voltage). This is how the circuit works.
This voltage doubler circuit can deliver only up to 50mA output current and above that current limit the output voltage will be dramatically reduced. The actual output voltage will be around 19V for a 12V DC input and also the output voltage will be a bit unstable. Anyway, for low current applications this circuit is well enough.
CircuitsToday has introduced an online store where you can buy books that give you a better understanding on the applications of 555 IC. These books have been reviewed in detail and the links to buy them is also provided. Check it out:- 3 Great Books to Learn 555 Timer Circuits and Projects.
Notes. The circuit can be assembled on a vero board. The output current should not be allowed to exceed 70mA. IC1 must be mounted on a holder.
- 555 Linear Voltage/Frequency Converter Circuit (Three)
- Honda Odyssey 4 cylinder engine control system circuit
- Car Tachometer with 555 IC
- An Overview of the 555 Timer
- 555 Variable Frequency Square Wave Generator
- 555 sectional timing circuit
- 555 IC Linear Ramp (Sawtooth) Generator/Oscillator
- The No.1 Cluster and Warning Lamp Circuit of the Dong Feng Y
- 555 Linear Voltage/Frequency Converter circuit Four
- 555 automatic start type over-current protection control cir
- DC Motor speed controller using 555 timer circuit
- NE-502 varactor tuning input circuit
- 555 bumper cars circuit
- 555 Inductive switching power supply circuit
- 555 based Reset Generator CIRCUIT (LM555N)
- 555 multifunction household appliance protector circuit(1)
- 555 Bootstrap Voltage Sawtooth Wave Generator Circuit
- Southeast Soveran electric folding remote control mirror ele
- Duplex filter electric appliance circuit
- lead acid battery Charger 6V -12V By 555 and LM340
- Oscilloscope-Triggered Sweep using 555 IC
- 555 Timer IC, The IC Time Machine
- ON/OFF Featured Touch Switch by 555 Timer
- 555 Timer As An A/D Converter
- 555 Fm Circuit Circuit