How to test a capacitor.
This article shows you how to test a capacitor using analogue multimeter. Firstly short the capacitor leads for discharging it completely. Set the multimeter to high resistance mode. Connect the multimeter terminals to the capacitor leads. For electrolytic capacitors the positive terminal of multimeter must be connected to the positive lead of the capacitor and negative terminal of multimeter to the negative lead of capacitor. For other capacitor types, polarity is not an issue.
At the moment you connect the multimeter terminals to the capacitor leads, the multimeter needle will move to zero and then slowly move towards infinity and settle there. This will happen only if the capacitor under test is healthy.If the capacitor under test is short, the multimeter needle will go to zero and remain there. If the capacitor under test is open, the multimeter needle will not move (will remain at the infinity position which is the initial position for analogue multi meters). If the capacitor under test has leakage then the needle will first deflect to zero, and then slowly move towards infinity and will settle at a point before infinity.
This is only a rough test and for complete check up you need to varify the capacitor value using a capacitance meter.
- Differential capacitance measurement
- Mosfet Tester
- CONTINUITY TESTER Circuit
- TDA7088T Test Circuit Schematic for Mechanical Tuning and Da
- Voltage and Current Limited Audible Continuity Tester
- Reflex Tester Circuit
- How to build Connection Tester
- Car and Motorcycle Battery Tester
- Mosfet Tester electronic circuit diagram
- Crystal Tester CIRCUIT (2N3563)
- How to measure wind direction
- Battery Tester For Deaf and Blind Persons(1N4001)
- Continuity Tester Circuit(BAT85)
- Audible Logic Tester Circuit
- RJ45 Connector Tester Circuit
- ADC to the BSII to measure voltages (MAX187)
- Sense of Time tester circuit.
- Liquid-Crystal Display (LCD) Tester(CD4047)
- Oscilloscope testing module (huntron circuit)
- Announcing Winner of Suggest a Topic to Publish Contest
- LM4562 Noise Measurement Circuit Diagram
- Latest Discovery
- Battery Tester Circuit Schematic